Dogs are also prone to teeth problems just like human beings. If your dog’s oral hygiene is neglected, bacteria may begin to develop and live in the teeth causing the teeth to decay and even lead to gum disease. Taking good care of your pet’s teeth is not a form of indulgence but a necessity that must be done regularly to promote your pet’s health and general well-being.
There are several products that can be used to take care of your pet’s teeth and they are readily available for sale at animal care shops around you. These products would help strengthen his teeth and prevent accumulation of tartar on the teeth and would also work effectively against bacteria.
List of Things to Consider When Picking Out Dog Toothpaste
- The first thing to consider is the ingredients used in the toothpaste. Make sure that all the ingredients are safe for your dog and would not cause health problems when ingested.
- You should also consider the size of the toothpaste. It is more advisable to go for sample products or products with smaller sizes so that you can try out the product and if it works well for your pet you can buy the bigger size the next time you go shopping for pet supplies.
- You need to also consider palatability and digestibility. Your dog is sure to lick up some of the toothpaste when brushing him so ensure that the toothpaste you buy contains no harmful chemicals that are detrimental to your dog’s health when ingested.
- Toothpaste that come in chicken or beef flavors would be more suitable for your dog as the taste and aroma could be enticing to your dog. This way, you would struggle less when giving him a mouth wash.
- Other things to consider include ease of use, safety for your pet, and the packaging (does it come with pads and sponges or does it come in liquid gel or powder form?)
- The ideal toothpaste for your dog should be desirable by your dog and easy to use.
Choosing Dog’s Toothbrush
The type of toothbrush you use for your pet would also determine the quality of the mouthwash he gets. You would find several styles of toothbrush in your pet stores. You should choose the one that works best for your dog. A good dog toothbrush should be easy to use, safe and effective. It must also be easy to clean and acceptable to your pet.
A good dog toothbrush must also be easy to handle. Choose a toothbrush in relation to the size of your dog. For larger breeds, it is best to use finger cot brushes. Finger cot brushes are double ended with a part that looks like a finger glove. This glove has bristles on it and allows you to brush the inner parts of your dog’s teeth.
It is recommended that you clean your dog’s teeth once in a month or you could consult your Vet for guidance on how often you should brush your dog’s teeth and all other necessary information. If you notice a building up of Tartar or anything unusual in your dog’s dentition, consult your Vet immediately for help.
For busy pet owners who barely have time for pet grooming, do not neglect your dog’s grooming needs. Hire a professional groomer for help.
Tips And Tricks for Brushing Your dog’s Teeth
When setting out to brush your dog’s teeth develop a positive attitude and treat the whole experience as a fun thing. Do not hold his head down or force him at any time during the process. This would only traumatize him and you may be at risk of biting. Let him perceive the flavor of the toothpaste and lick it. Avoid using products that contain alcoholic substances. Make sure your dog toothpaste is totally free from alcohol.
Make sure you keep all dog toothpaste out of the reach of children and store them in a cool place. Also look out for expiry dates to avoid using damaged products for your pets.
Regular brushing of your dog’s teeth would keep him safe from gum diseases such as gingivitis. It would also leave your dog with a fresh breath.